Features and Benefits
- Highly accurate; supports EN 50470-1, EN 50470-3, IEC 62053-21, IEC 62053-22, and IEC 62053-23 standards
- Compatible with 3-phase, 3- or 4-wire (delta or wye) meters and other 3-phase services
- Supplies total (fundamental and harmonic) active, reactive, and apparent energy and fundamental active/reactive energy on each phase and on the overall system
- 0.1% error (typical) in active and reactive energy over a dynamic range of 1000 to 1 at TA = 25°C
- 0.2% error (typical) in active and reactive energy over a dynamic range of 3000 to 1 at TA = 25°C
- Averaged rms measurements available in low ripple rms registers
- Supports current transformer and di/dt current sensors
- Dedicated ADC channel for neutral current input
- Estimated neutral current measurement by calculating the rms of the sum of the phase currents in all 3 phases
- See datasheet for additional features
The ADE7854A / ADE7858A / ADE7868A / ADE7878A are high accuracy, 3-phase electrical energy measurement ICs with serial interfaces and three flexible pulse outputs. The devices incorporate second-order Σ-Δ analog-to-digital converters (ADCs), a digital integrator, reference circuitry, and all signal processing required to perform total (fundamental and harmonic) active, reactive (ADE7858A, ADE7868A, and ADE7878A), and apparent energy measurement and rms calculations.
The ADE7878A can also perform fundamental-only active and reactive energy measurement and rms calculations. A fixed function digital signal processor (DSP) executes the signal processing. The DSP program is stored in the internal ROM memory.
The ADE7854A / ADE7858A / ADE7868A / ADE7878A can measure active, reactive, and apparent energy in various 3-phase configurations, such as wye or delta services, with both three and four wires. Aside from regular rms measurements, which are updated every 8 kHz, these devices measure low ripple rms values, which are averaged internally and updated every 1.024 sec. The devices provide system calibration features for each phase, that is, rms offset correction, phase calibration, and gain calibration.
The CF1, CF2, and CF3 logic outputs provide a wide selection of power information. All four devices provide total active and apparent powers, as well as the sum of the current rms values; the ADE7858A, ADE7868A, and ADE7878A also provide total reactive powers; the ADE7878A also provides fundamental active and reactive powers.
The ADE7854A / ADE7858A / ADE7868A / ADE7878A contain waveform sampling registers that allow access to all ADC outputs. The devices also incorporate power quality measurements, such as short duration low or high voltage detection, short duration high current variation, line voltage period measurement, and angles between phase voltages and currents.
Two serial interfaces, serial peripheral interface (SPI) and I2C, can communicate with the devices. A dedicated high speed interface, the high speed data capture (HSDC) port, can be used in conjunction with I2C to provide access to the ADC outputs and real-time power information.
The devices have two interrupt request pins, IRQ0 and IRQ1, to indicate that an enabled interrupt event has occurred. For the ADE7868A / ADE7878A, three specially designed low power modes ensure the continuity of energy accumulation when the ADE7868A / ADE7878A are in a tampering situation.
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The ADE7854A/ADE7858A/ADE7868A/ADE7878A are high accuracy, 3-phase electrical energy measurement ICs with serial interfaces and three flexible pulse outputs. These ICs incorporate second-order sigma-delta (Σ-Δ) analog-to-digital converters (ADCs), a digital integrator, reference circuitry, and all of the signal processing required to perform the total (fundamental and harmonic) active and apparent energy measurements, rms calculations, and fundamental-only active and reactive energy measurements.
This user guide describes the evaluation kit hardware, firmware,and software functionality. The evaluation board contains an IC and an LPC2368 microcontroller from NXP Semiconductors. The energy metering IC and its associated metering components are digitally isolated from the microcontroller. The microcontroller communicates with the PC using a USB interface.
The EVAL-ADE7878AEBZ and this user guide, together with the ADE7854A/ADE7858A/ADE7868A/ADE7878A data sheet, provide a complete evaluation platform for the ADE7854A/ADE7858A/ADE7868A/ADE7878A.
The evaluation board has been designed so that the ADE7854A/ ADE7858A/ADE7868A/ADE7878A can be evaluated as an energy meter. Using appropriate current transducers, the evaluation board can be connected to a test bench or high voltage (240 V rms) test circuit. On-board resistor divider networks provide the attenuation for the line voltages.
The user guide describes how to connect the current transducers for the best performance. The evaluation board requires one external power supply of 3.3 V applied to the P9 connector. Appropriate current transducers are also required.
Features & Benefits
- Evaluation board designed to be used with accompanying software to implement a fully functional 3-phase energy meter
- Easy connection of external transducers via screw terminals
- Easy modification of signal conditioning components using PCB sockets
- LED indicators on the CF1, CF2, CF3, IRQ0, and IRQ1 logic outputs
- Digitally isolated metering components and USB-based communication with a PC
- External voltage reference option available for on-chip reference evaluation
- PC COM port-based firmware updates
Software & Systems Requirements
ADE78xxa Evaluation Board Software Tools
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.