Features and Benefits
- 4-Wire touch screen interface
- On-chip temperature sensor:
–40°C to +85°C
- On-chip 2.5 V reference
- Direct battery measurement (0 V to 6 V)
- Touch pressure measurement
- Specified throughput rate
of 125 kSPS
- Single supply, VCC of 2.2 V to 5.25 V
- Ratiometric conversion
- High speed serial interface
8- or 12-bit resolution
- One auxiliary analog input
- Shutdown mode: 1 µA maximum
- 16-lead QSOP, TSSOP, and LFCSP packages
The AD7873 is a 12-bit successive approximation ADC with a synchronous serial interface and low on resistance switches for driving touch screens. The AD7873 operates from a single 2.2 V to 5.25 V supply, with a throughput rate of 125 kSPS.
The AD7873 features direct battery measurement, temperature measurement, and touch pressure measurement. The AD7873 also has an on-board reference of 2.5 V that can be used for the auxiliary input, battery monitor, and temperature measurement modes. When not in use, the internal reference can be shut down to conserve power. An external reference can also be applied and varied from 1 V to VCC with an analog input range from 0 V to VREF. The device includes a shutdown mode that reduces the current consumption to less than 1 µA.
The AD7873 features on-board switches. This, coupled with low power and high speed operation, makes the device ideal for battery-powered systems with resistive touch screens. The part is available in a 16-lead, 0.15 inch quarter size outline package (QSOP), a 16-lead, thin shrink small outline package (TSSOP), and a 16-lead, lead frame chip scale package (LFCSP).
- Ratiometric conversion mode available, eliminating errors due to on-board switch resistances.
- On-board temperature sensor: −40°C to +85°C.
- Battery monitor input.
- Touch pressure measurement capability.
- Low power consumption of 1.37 mW maximum with the reference off, or 2.41 mW typical with the reference on, at 125 kSPS and VCC at 3.6 V.
- Package options include 4 mm × 4 mm LFCSP.
- Analog input range from 0 V to VREF.
- Versatile serial I/O ports.
- Personal digital assistants
- Smart hand-held devices
- Touch screen monitors
- Point-of-sale terminals
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Software & Systems Requirements
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.