16-Bit, 100ksps, Ultra Low Power 16-Bit SAR ADC
The AD7988-1/AD7988-5 are 16-bit, successive approximation, analog-to-digital converters (ADC) that operate from a single power supply, VDD. The AD7988-1 offers a 100 kSPS throughput, and the AD7988-5 offers a 500 kSPS throughput. They are low power, 16-bit sampling ADCs with a versatile serial interface port. On the CNV rising edge, they sample an analog input, IN+, between 0 V to VREF with respect to a ground sense, IN−. The reference voltage, REF, is applied externally and can be set independent of the supply voltage, VDD.
The SPI-compatible serial interface also features the ability to daisy-chain several ADCs on a single 3-wire bus using the SDI input. It is compatible with 1.8 V, 2.5 V, 3 V, or 5 V logic using the separate supply, VIO.
The AD7988-1/AD7988-5 generics are housed in a 10-lead MSOP or a 10-lead LFCSP (QFN) with operation specified from −40°C to +125°C.
- Battery-powered equipment
- Low power data acquisition systems
- Portable medical instruments
- ATE equipment
- Data acquisitions
Comparable Parts Click to see all in Parametric Search
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
The EVAL-AD7988-5SDZ is a fully featured evaluation kit for the AD7988-5. This board operates in stand alone mode or in conjunction with the System Development Platform, EVAL-SDP-CB1Z . When operated with the System Development Platform software is provided enabling the user to perform detailed analysis of the ADC's performance. This software includes the technical note describing the operation and set up of the evaluation board in standalone operation or when operated with the System Development Platform . When operated in standalone mode the ADZS-BRKOUT-EX3 break out board is recommended for access to various control pins.
Recommended Digital Isolators
- For SPI Interface, lowest power, 2.5 kVrms isolation , we recommend the ADUM1401 .
- For SPI Interface, smallest package, low voltage I/O (1.8 V to 5.5 V) , we recommend the ADUM3481 .
- For SPI Interface, low power, 5.0 kVrms isolation , we recommend the ADUM4401 .
- For SPI Interface, enhanced system-level ESD performance, 2.5 kVrms isolation , we recommend the ADUM3401 .
Recommended Driver Amplifiers
- For precision, low power, low distortion applications , we recommend the ADA4841-1, ADA4896-2 or the AD8031 .
- For low frequency, precision, low bias current applications , we recommend the ADA4627-1, ADA4637-1 or the AD8610 .
- For high frequency, low noise, low distortion applications , we recommend the ADA4897-1 or the AD8021 .
Product Selection Guide
SAR ADC & Driver Quick-Match Guide
Find drivers for ADI's most popular single-ended and differential SAR ADCs based on your specific application...
Front-End Amplifier and RC Filter Design for a Precision SAR...
Voltage Reference Design for Precision Successive-Approximation ADCs
(Analog Dialogue, Volume 47 – June 2013)
CN-0255: A Complete Single-Supply, 16-Bit, 100 kSPS PulSAR ADC System...
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Didn't find what you were looking for?
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.