18-Bit, 2 MSPS PulSAR 15 mW ADC in QFN
The AD7986 is an 18-bit, 2 MSPS successive approximation, analog-to-digital converter (ADC). It contains a low power, high speed, 18-bit sampling ADC, an internal conversion clock, an internal reference (and buffer), error correction circuits, and a versatile serial interface port. On the rising edge of CNV, the AD7986 samples the voltage difference between the IN+ and IN− pins. The voltages on these pins usually swing in opposite phases between 0 V and VREF. It features a very high sampling rate turbo mode (TURBO = high) and a reduced power normal mode (TURBO = low) for low power applications where the power is scaled with the throughput.
In normal mode (TURBO = low), the SPI-compatible serial interface also features the ability, using the SDI input, to daisychain several ADCs on a single 3-wire bus and provide an optional busy indicator. It is compatible with 1.8 V, 2.5 V, and 2.7 V using the separate VIO supply.
The AD7986 is available in a 20-lead LFCSP with operation specified from −40°C to +85°C.
- Battery-powered equipment
- Data acquisition systems
- Medical instruments
- Seismic data acquisition systems
Comparable Parts Click to see all in Parametric Search
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
The EVAL-AD7986FMCZ is a fully featured evaluation kit for the AD7986. This board operates in conjunction with the system development platform board, EVAL-SDP-CH1Z. When operated with the system development platform board, software is provided enabling the user to perform detailed analysis of the performance of the ADC. This software has an accompanying user guide describing the operation and set up of the evaluation board when operated with the system development platform board.
Recommended Digital Isolators
- For SPI Interface, enhanced system-level ESD performance, 2.5 kVrms isolation , we recommend the ADUM3401 .
- For SPI Interface, low power, 5.0 kVrms isolation , we recommend the ADUM4401 .
- For SPI Interface, lowest power, 2.5 kVrms isolation , we recommend the ADUM1401 .
- For SPI Interface, smallest package, low voltage I/O (1.8 V to 5.5 V) , we recommend the ADUM3481 .
Recommended External Voltage References
- For low drift, low noise, low power , we recommend the ADR4550 .
- For low drift, low noise and low dropout , we recommend the ADR445 .
- For driving the voltage reference input , we recommend the AD8031 or the AD8655 .
- For low drift, low noise and high current output applications , we recommend the ADR435 .
Recommended Driver Amplifiers
- For low frequency, precision, low bias current applications , we recommend the ADA4627-1, ADA4610-2 or the AD8476 .
- For precision, low power, low distortion applications , we recommend the ADA4841-1, ADA4940-1 or the ADA4941-1 .
- For high frequency, low noise, low distortion applications , we recommend the ADA4897-1 or the AD8021 .
Differential Drivers for Precision ADCs
Product Selection Guide
SAR ADC & Driver Quick-Match Guide
Find drivers for ADI's most popular single-ended and differential SAR ADCs based on your specific application...
Solutions Bulletins & Brochures
Analog-to-Digital Converter and Drivers ICs Solutions Bulletin, Volume 10,...
Solutions Bulletins & Brochures
Test & Instrumentation Solutions Bulletin, Volume 10, Issue 3
Voltage Reference Design for Precision Successive-Approximation ADCs
(Analog Dialogue, Volume 47 – June 2013)
Front-End Amplifier and RC Filter Design for a Precision SAR...
MS-2210: Designing Power Supplies for High Speed ADC
MS-1779: Nine Often Overlooked ADC Specifications
Analog-to-digital converters (ADCs) have many specifications; some are more important for a given application than...
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Didn't find what you were looking for?
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.