8-Channel, I2C, 12-Bit SAR ADC with Temperature Sensor
The part operates from a single 3.3 V power supply and features an I2C-compatible interface. The part contains a 9-channel multiplexer and a track-and-hold amplifier than can handle frequencies up to 30 MHz. The device has an on-chip 2.5 V reference that can be disabled to allow the use of an external reference.
The AD7291 provides a 2-wire serial interface compatible with I2C interfaces. The I2C interface supports standard and fast I2C interface modes. The AD7291 normally remains in a partial power-down state while not converting and powers up for conversions. The conversion process can be controlled by a command mode where conversions occur across I2C write operations or an autocycle mode selected through software control.
The AD7291 includes a high accuracy band gap temperature sensor, which is monitored and digitized by the 12-bit ADC to give a resolution of 0.25°C.
The AD7291 offers a programmable sequencer, which enables the selection of a preprogrammable sequence of channels for conversion.
On-chip limit registers can be programmed with high and low limits for the conversion results; an out-of-range indicator output (ALERT) becomes active when the programmed high or low limits are violated by the conversion result. This output can be used as an interrupt.
- Ideally suited to monitoring system variables in a variety of systems including telecommunications, process control, and industrial control.
- I2C-compatible serial interface. Standard and fast modes.
- Automatic partial power-down while not converting to maximize power efficiency.
- Channel sequencer operation.
- Integrated temperature sensor with 0.25°C resolution.
- Out of range indicator that can be software disabled or enabled.
Comparable Parts Click to see all in Parametric Search
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
The EVAL-AD7291SDZ is a fully featured evaluation board for the AD7291. This board operates in stand alone mode or in conjunction with the System Development Platform, EVAL-SDP-CB1Z . When operated with the System Development Platform software is provided enabling the user to perform detailed analysis of the ADC's performance. When operated in standalone mode the ADZS-BRKOUT-EX3 break out board is recommended for access to various control pins.
Recommended Input Buffer Amplifiers
- For a precision, battery-powered, instrumentation amplifier , we recommend the AD8420 .
- For applications requiring low cost, low temperature drift, good DC and AC precision , we recommend the AD8692 .
- For low power applications , we recommend the ADA4692-2 .
- For applications requiring highest precision , we recommend the AD8606 .
- For high speed, low noise, low distortion , we recommend the AD8022 .
Recommended High Accuracy, Precision External References - 2.5V
- For high output current applications , we recommend the ADR431 .
- For cost sensitive applications , we recommend the AD1582 or the ADR391 .
- For applications requiring the lowest noise performance and output trim adjust , we recommend the ADR441 .
- For wide supply applications , we recommend the AD780 .
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Didn't find what you were looking for?
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.