Features and Benefits
- Wide input supply voltage range: 2.85 V to 15 V
- Generates well regulated, independently resistor programmable VPOS and VNEG outputs
- Boost regulator to generate VPOS output
- Adjustable positive output to 39 V
- Integrated 1.0 A main switch
- Optional single-ended primary-inductor converter (SEPIC) configuration for automatic step-up/step-down
- Inverting regulator to generate VNEG output
- Adjustable negative output to VIN − 39 V
- Integrated 0.6 A main switch
- True shutdown for both positive and negative outputs
- 1.2 MHz/2.4 MHz switching frequency with optional external frequency synchronization from 1.0 MHz to 2.6 MHz
- Resistor programmable soft start timer
- Slew rate control for lower system noise
- Individual precision enable and flexible start-up sequence control for symmetric start, VPOS first, or VNEG first
- Out-of-phase operation
- UVLO, OCP, OVP, and TSD protection
- 4 mm × 4 mm, 20-lead LFCSP and 20-lead TSSOP
- −40°C to +125°C junction temperature range
- Supported by the ADIsimPower tool set
The ADP5070 is a dual high performance dc-to-dc regulator that generates independently regulated positive and negative rails.
The input voltage range of 2.85 V to 15 V supports a wide variety of applications. The integrated main switch in both regulators enables generation of an adjustable positive output voltage up to +39 V and a negative output voltage down to −39 V below input voltage.
The ADP5070 operates at a pin selected 1.2 MHz/2.4 MHz switching frequency. The ADP5070 can synchronize with an external oscillator from 1.0 MHz to 2.6 MHz to ease noise filtering in sensitive applications. Both regulators implement programmable slew rate control circuitry for the MOSFET driver stage to reduce electromagnetic interference (EMI).
Flexible start-up sequencing is provided with the options of manual enable, simultaneous mode, positive supply first, and negative supply first.
The ADP5070 includes a fixed internal or resistor programmable soft start timer to prevent inrush current at power-up. During shutdown, both regulators completely disconnect the loads from the input supply to provide a true shutdown.
Other key safety features in the ADP5070 include overcurrent protection (OCP), overvoltage protection (OVP), thermal shutdown (TSD), and input undervoltage lockout (UVLO).
The ADP5070 is available in a 20-lead LFCSP or in a 20-lead TSSOP and is rated for a −40°C to +125°C junction temperature range.
- Bipolar amplifiers, ADCs, DACs and multiplexers
- Charge-coupled device (CCD) bias supply
- Optical module supply
- RF power amplifier (PA) bias
- Power Management
Markets & Technology
- Industrial Automation Technology (IAT)
- Clinical Monitoring
- ECG Patient Monitoring
- EEG Measurement
- Medical Isolation and Patient Safety
- NiBP based on BCG and PPG
- NiBP based on ECG and PPG
- Respiration Measurement
- Health, Wellness and Fitness
- Portable Blood Analyzer
- Body Composition Measurement
- Body-Worn Insulin Pump
- Motion Sensing/Fall Detection
- Sport Watch
- Wearable Health Monitor
- Aerospace and Defense
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The ADP5070CP-EVALZ and ADP5071CP-EVALZ evaluation board are used to demonstrate the functionality of the ADP5070 and ADP5071 dc-to-dc converters, respectively.
Simple device measurements, such as line regulation, load regulation and efficiency, can be evaluated with the board. Device features, including selectable operating frequency, soft start, sequencing and slew rate control, may be demonstrated. The ADP7142 and ADP7182 LDOs are also available on the board as an option for enhanced low noise output.
For more details about dc-to-dc converters, refer to the ADP5070 and ADP5071 datasheets. For further information on the LDOs, refer to the ADP7142 and ADP7182 datasheet.
Additional Equipment Needed
DC power supply
Multimeters for voltage and current measurements
Electronic or resistive loads
Evaluation Kit Contents
ADP5070CP-EVALZ or ADP5071CP-EVALZ evaluation board
Features & Benefits
- Input voltage range: 3V to 5.5V
- Output Voltage: +/- 15V
- Output Voltage With LDOs: +/-12V
Application Notes (3)
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
ADIsimPE, which is powered by SIMetrix/SIMPLIS, is a circuit simulation suite optimized for the design and development of analog and mixed signal circuits. SIMetrix mode is ideal for the simulation of general non-switching circuits. It provides full Pspice compatibility for use with industry-standard SPICE models. SIMPLIS (SIMulation Piecewise-Linear System) mode simulates the operation of switching circuits with vastly improved robustness, speed, and accuracy compared to standard SPICE. It is particularly useful for switching power supply, PLLs, and ADC/DAC applications.
ADIsimPower is the fastest and most accurate Power Management design tool. ADI's Design Center lets you design your power circuits in three easy steps.
Microsoft Excel download tool from ADIsimPower to generate a power supply design complete with a schematic, bill of materials, and performance specifications.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.