Features and Benefits
- Input voltage range: 2.3 V to 6.5 V
- Maximum load current: 500 mA
- Low noise: 5 μV rms independent of output voltage at 100 Hz to 100 kHz
- Fast transient response: 1.5 μs for 1 mA to 500 mA load step
- 60 dB PSRR at 100 kHz
- Low dropout voltage: 42 mV at 500 mA load, VOUT = 3 V
- Initial accuracy: ±0.75%
- Accuracy over line, load, and temperature: ±1.25%
- Quiescent current, IGND = 0.7 mA at no load
- Low shutdown current: 0.25 μA at VIN = 5 V
- Stable with small 4.7 μF ceramic output capacitor
- See data sheet for additional features
The ADM7170 is a CMOS, low dropout linear regulator (LDO) that operates from 2.3 V to 6.5 V and provides up to 500 mA of output current. This high output current LDO is ideal for regulation of high performance analog and mixed signal circuits operating from 6 V down to 1.2 V rails. Using an advanced proprietary architecture, the device provides high power supply rejection and low noise, and achieves excellent line and load transient response with just a small 4.7 μF ceramic output capacitor. Load transient response is typically 1.5 μs for a 1 mA to 500 mA load step.
The ADM7170 is available in 17 fixed output voltage options. The following voltages are available from stock: 1.3 V, 1.8 V, 2.5 V, 3.0 V, 3.3 V, 4.2 V, and 5.0 V. Additional voltages that are available by special order are: 1.5 V, 1.85 V, 2.0 V, 2.2 V, 2.7 V, 2.75 V, 2.8 V, 2.85 V, 3.8 V, and 4.6 V. An adjustable version is also available that allows output voltages that range from 1.2 V to VIN − VDO with an external feedback divider.
Inrush current can be controlled by adjusting the start-up time via the soft start pin. The typical start-up time with a 1 nF soft start capacitor is about 1.0 ms.
The ADM7170 regulator output noise is 5 μV rms independent of the output voltage. The ADM7170 is available in an 8-lead, 3 mm × 3 mm LFCSP, making it not only a very compact solution, but also providing excellent thermal performance for applications requiring up to 500 mA of output current in a small, low profile footprint.
- Regulation to noise sensitive applications: ADC and DAC circuits,
precision amplifiers, PLLs/VCOs, and clocking ICs
- Communications and infrastructure
- Medical and healthcare
- Industrial and instrumentation
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The ADM7170ACP-EVALZ/ADM717Q1CP-EVALZ/ ADM7172ACP-EVALZ is an evaluation board used to demonstrate the functionality of the ADM7170, ADM7171, and ADM7172 linear regulators.
Simple device measurements, such as line and load regulation, dropout, and ground current, can be demonstrated with just a single voltage source, a voltmeter, an ammeter, and load resistors.
Features & Benefits
- Input voltage range: 2.3 V to 6.5 V
- Output current range: 0 mA to 2 A (500 mA for ADM7170, 1 A for ADM7171, 2 A for ADM7172)
- Output voltage accuracy: ±0.75% for ADM7170, −0.5%/+1% for ADM7171/ADM7172
- Operating temperature range: −40°C to +125°C
- Output voltage can also be adjusted up with two external resistors from any fixed output voltage option
- VOUT = VOUT(FIXED) × (1 + R1/R2)
Tools & Simulations
ADIsimPower is the fastest and most accurate Power Management design tool. ADI's Design Center lets you design your power circuits in three easy steps.
Microsoft Excel download tool from ADIsimPower to generate a power supply design complete with a schematic, bill of materials, and performance specifications.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.