New Content (1)
Product Selection GuideRF, Microwave, and Millimeter Wave IC Selection Guide 2018
Features and Benefits
- Passive, wideband I/Q mixer
- RF and LO range: 6 GHz to 26.5 GHz
- Wide IF bandwidth of dc to 5 GHz
- Single-ended RF, LO, and IF
- Conversion loss: 9 dB (typical)
- Image rejection: 25 dBc (typical)
- Single-sideband noise figure: 9 dB (typical)
- Input IP3 (downconverter): 24 dBm (typical)
- Input P1dB compression point (downconverter): 15 dBm (typical)
- Input IP2: 55 dBm (typical)
- LO to RF isolation: 40 dB (typical)
- LO to IF isolation: 40 dB (typical)
- RF to IF isolation: 20 dB (typical)
- Amplitude balance: ±0.5 dB (typical)
- Phase balance (downconverter): ±5° (typical)
- RF return loss: 15 dB (typical)
- LO return loss: 15 dB (typical)
- IF return loss: 15 dB (typical)
- Exposed pad, 4 mm × 4 mm, 24-terminal, ceramic, LCC package
The HMC8191 is a passive, wideband, I/Q monolithic microwave integrated circuit (MMIC) mixer that can be used either as an image reject mixer for receiver operations or as a single-sideband upconverter for transmitter operations. With a radio frequency (RF) and local oscillator (LO) range of 6 GHz to 26.5 GHz, and an intermediate frequency (IF) bandwidth of dc to 5 GHz, the HMC8191 is ideal for applications requiring a wide frequency range, excellent RF performance, and a simple design with fewer components and a small printed circuit board (PCB) footprint. A single HMC8191 can replace multiple narrow-band mixers in a design.
The inherent I/Q architecture of the HMC8191 offers excellent image rejection and thereby eliminates the need for expensive filtering for unwanted sidebands. The mixer also provides excellent LO to RF and LO to IF isolation and reduces the effect of LO leakage to ensure signal integrity.
Being a passive mixer, the HMC8191 does not require any dc power sources. It offers a lower noise figure compared to an active mixer, ensuring superior dynamic range for high performance and precision applications.
The HMC8191 is fabricated on a gallium arsenide (GaAs) metal semiconductor field effect transistor (MESFET) process and uses Analog Devices, Inc. mixer cells and a 90-degree hybrid. The HMC8191 is available in a compact, 4 mm × 4 mm, 24-terminal leadless chip carrier (LCC) package and operates over a −40°C to +85°C temperature range. An evaluation board for the HMC8191 is also available from the Analog Devices website.
- Test and measurement instrumentation
- Military, aerospace, and defense applications
- Microwave point to point base stations
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EV1HMC8191LC4 evaluation board PCB is 4 layers Rogers 4350B. It designed as application support for the HMC8191. The signal lines are 50 Ω impedance for connection and matching to the package.
The board does not require any power supply or USB connection.
Product Selection Guide (1)
Technical Articles (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.