MPEG-4 SP/ASP Encoder, Blackfin
The ADI MPEG-4 SP/ASP Encoder library for the Blackfin processor implements an MPEG-4 video encoder, which is compliant with the INTERNATIONAL STANDARD ISO/IEC14496-2, Information technology — Coding of audio-visual objects — Part 2: Visual, Third edition 2004-06-01.
This implementation of the MPEG-4 Encoder has been highly optimized to run on the Analog Devices ADSP-BF5xx Blackfin processor. It is a self-contained software module that is fully compliant with ISO/IEC14496-2, , Information technology — Coding of audio-visual objects — Part 2: Visual, Third edition 2004-06-01, specification.
The code has been implemented using Instruction and Data cache. To optimize video encoding performance, internal SRAMs for Program and Data memory and Memory DMA are also utilized effectively.
Each module supports the Analog Devices, Inc. (ADI) Blackfin or SHARC Processor family and is a licensed product that is available in object code format. Recipients must sign or accept a license agreement with ADI prior to being shipped or downloading the modules identified in the license agreement.
|Code Memory (KB)||Data RAM (KB)||Frame Buffer (MB)
||Output Buffer (MB)||Input Buffer (MB)||MIPs||Test Case Description|
|SP Average||SP Moving
|75.89||37.32||1.41||1.00||1.08||234||240||CIF, 1.0 Mbps, 30 fps|
|75.89||37.32||1.41||1.00||1.08||410||421||½ D1, 2.0 Mbps, 30 fps|
|75.89||37.32||1.41||1.00||1.08||850||891||D1, 4.0 Mbps, 30 fps|
Advanced Simple Profile:
|Code Memory (KB)||Data RAM (KB)||Frame Buffer (MB)||Output Buffer (MB)||Input Buffer (MB)||MIPs||Test Case Description|
|SP Average||SP Moving Average Peak|
|75.89||37.32||1.41||1.00||1.08||283||292||CIF, 1.0 Mbps, 30 fps|
|75.89||37.32||1.41||1.00||1.08||501||512||½ D1, 2.0 Mbps, 30 fps|
|75.89||37.32||1.41||1.00||1.08||1005||1047||CIF, 4.0 Mbps, 30 fps|
- MIPS measured using different bit rates and resolution - bit rates of 384Kbps, 30 fps, 176x144 (QCIF) size sequence, 1.0Mbps, 30 fps, 352x288 (CIF) size sequence and 4.0Mbps, 30 fps, 640x480 (VGA) size sequence, ITU-R BT.656 output, NTSC format, optimal memory layout on ADSP-BF561 rev 0.5 processor, for Simple and Advanced Simple Profile.
- Measurements done with CAS1=3 for SDRAM, CCLK2=600, SCLK3=120 for ADSP-BF561.
- Data cache and instruction cache are enabled. The cache is set in "write back" and "small cache" (DCBS=0) mode.
- Memory DMA is used with 32 bit DMA.
- "Data RAM" for one instance includes Stack, Scratch, Encoder Instance Memory, for D1 PAL resolution.
- Frame Buffer for one instance of encoder and D1 PAL resolution.
- Minimum Input and Output Single Buffers, for ITU-R BT656 D1 PAL input.
- 1 MB = 1024 KB; 1 KB = 1024 Bytes.
- MIPS number is quite similar for ADSP-BF609 processor.
- NOTE: In deriving the "Moving Avg Peak" value, an 8 consecutive frame sliding window was used. An average cycle count was measured for each window of frames, and the worst case average cycle from all the sliding window measurements was determined to be the "Moving Avg Peak" value.
1CAS – Column Address Strobe Latency. Please refer BF5xx Hardware Reference Manual for more details on CAS.
2CCLK – Core clock
3SCLK – System Clock
- Windows XP Professional SP3 (32-bit only).
- Windows Vista Business/Enterprise/Ultimate SP2 (32-bit only). It is recommended to install the software in a non-UAC-protected location.
- Windows 7 Professional/Enterprise/Ultimate (32 and 64-bit). It is recommended to install the software in a non-UAC-protected location.
- Minimum of 2 GHz single core processor, 3.3 GHz dual core is recommended.
- Minimum of 1 GB memory (RAM), 4 GB is recommended.
- Minimum of 2 GB hard disk (HDD) space is required.
- CrossCore Embedded Studio for Analog Devices Processors.
- VisualDSP++ for Analog Devices Processors.