SmartMesh IP Wireless Mesh Networks Expand to Address Industrial IoT Networks with Thousands of Nodes
Linear Technology’s SmartMesh IP™ wireless sensor network (WSN) product line has expanded to address the growing needs of industrial Internet of Things (IoT) applications. New capabilities include the SmartMesh® VManager™ networking software, which seamlessly increases the mesh network capacity to thousands of nodes. The new Blink mode, an ultralow power roaming node capability, reduces average current consumption of wireless sensor nodes to less than 3µA.
SmartMesh IP, based on 6LoWPAN, delivers wire-like reliability and ultralow power to wireless mesh networks, allowing secure deployment of battery-operated IoT sensors in harsh environments with more than 10 years of battery life.
“SmartMesh IP is comprised of wireless hardware and software purpose built for the stringent requirements of industrial IoT applications,” said Joy Weiss, President of the Dust Networks® product group at Linear Technology. “We have tailored our WSN product so that customers can address the widest range of indoor, outdoor, local and cloud-based IoT applications while maintaining our hallmarks of wire-like reliability, industrial security and ultralow power.”
SmartMesh IP now offers an even wider range of features, including:
- Scalable Network and Security Management: SmartMesh networks self-form and self-heal and continuously self-optimize while providing NIST-certified security. Network Manager options include the cost-effective on-chip EManager for networks of less than 100 nodes, and the new VManager. VManager software reliably supports over one thousand nodes in a single secure network and runs on an X86-based Virtual Machine (VM) that can be located anywhere with an IP connection, including the Cloud.
- Ultralow Power Roaming Nodes: The new Blink mode addresses applications where nodes may need to move in and out of the mesh and send data several times per day. Thousands of SmartMesh IP Blink nodes can reliably and securely send data into a mesh-mode SmartMesh network while consuming an average of less than 3µA of power.
SmartMesh IP products are wireless chips and pre-certified PCB modules, complete with ready-to-deploy wireless mesh networking software based on the 6LoWPAN and IEEE 802.15.4e standards. SmartMesh is the only network built for the stringent reliability and security required for industrial IoT. It includes complete networking software to speed time-to-market, and is engineered for years of trouble-free operation. To learn more about SmartMesh, visit www.linear.com/smartmesh.
Linear Technology’s Dust Networks product group develops the industry’s lowest power and most reliable and secure standards-based wireless sensor networking products. Dust Networks’ SmartMesh products are field proven, with over 50,000 customer networks deployed in 120 countries. By delivering >99.999% data reliability in tough RF environments, Dust Networks’ wireless mesh networks are entrusted by industrial IoT solution providers to deliver critical sensor and control data reliably for many years without requiring intervention. With an average power consumption of less than 50μA, SmartMesh IP and SmartMesh WirelessHART can run on batteries for more than 10 years, enabling wireless sensor nodes to be placed anywhere data needs to be gathered.
Summary of Features: SmartMesh IP
- SmartMesh IP VManager™ Networking Software
- Thousands of Nodes in a Single Secure Network
- Place Nodes Anywhere with Wire-Free Operation
- SmartMesh IP Blink Mode
- Supports Roaming Nodes
- Secure & Reliable Communications with <3µA average power
- About Analog Devices
- Analog Devices (NASDAQ: ADI) designs and manufactures semiconductor products and solutions. We enable our customers to interpret the world around us by intelligently bridging the physical and digital with unmatched technologies that sense, measure and connect. Visit http://www.analog.com
Editor's Contact Information
- Doug Dickinson