2.7V to 38V/500mA Low Noise Buck-Boost Charge Pump Saves Space and Reduces EMI
Analog Devices, Inc., which recently acquired Linear Technology Corporation, announces the LTC3246, a compact, low noise buck-boost charge pump with integrated watchdog timer capable of up to 500mA of output current. The LTC3246 uses multimode switched capacitor conversion to maintain regulation over a wide 2.7V to 38V input voltage range and produces a regulated 3.3V, 5V, or externally adjustable (2.5V to 5V) output. Internal circuitry automatically selects a conversion ratio of 2:1, 1:1 or 1:2 to optimize efficiency as input voltage and load conditions vary. Low operating current (20μA regulating with no load, 1.5μA in shutdown), low EMI switching and low external device count (three small ceramic capacitors and no inductors) make the LTC3246 ideal for noise-sensitive space constrained automotive applications such as ECU/CAN transceiver supplies, as well as industrial housekeeping supplies and efficient low power 12V to 5V conversion.
The LTC3246’s switched capacitor architecture with inherent soft switching provides lower radiated noise and EMI compared with conventional switching regulators. Timing control for the reset timeout and the windowed watchdog timeout can be adjusted using external capacitors on the RT and WT pins, or fixed internally via pin strapping. The accurate threshold of the reset input can be used for additional supply monitoring, or can be configured as a pushbutton reset. Other features include stability with ceramic capacitors, foldback current limiting to prevent excessive current flow during start-up, plus short-circuit and thermal protection.
The LTC3246 is available in a compact, thermally enhanced 16-lead MSOP package. The E and I grades feature a –40°C to 125°C operating junction temperature, the H grade has a –40°C to 150°C operating junction temperature, and the MP grade is specified for –55°C to 150°C operation. 1000-piece pricing starts at $3.25 each for the E grade and all devices are available from stock. For more information, visit www.linear.com/product/LTC3246.
Summary of Features: LTC3246
- 2.7V–38V Operating Range (42V Abs Max)
- IQ = 20µA Operating; 1.5µA in Shutdown
- Multimode Buck-Boost Charge Pump (2:1, 1:1, 1:2) with Automatic Mode Switching
- 12V to 5V Efficiency = 81%
- IOUT Up to 500mA
- VOUT: Fixed 3.3V, 5V or Adjustable (2.5V to 5V)
- Ultralow EMI
- Engineered for Diagnostic Coverage in ISO 26262 Systems
- Overtemperature & Short-Circuit Protection
- Operating Junction Temperature: 150°C Max
- POR/Watchdog Controller with External Timing Control
- Thermally Enhanced 16-Lead MSOP Package
Pricing shown is for budgetary use only and may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.
- About Analog Devices
- Analog Devices (NASDAQ: ADI) is the leading global high-performance analog technology company dedicated to solving the toughest engineering challenges. We enable our customers to interpret the world around us by intelligently bridging the physical and digital with unmatched technologies that sense, measure, power, connect and interpret. Visit http://www.analog.com
Editor's Contact Information
- Doug Dickinson