60V, Synchronous Buck-Boost Controller
Linear Technology announces the LT3790, a synchronous buck-boost DC/DC controller that delivers up to 250W of power with a single IC. Its 4.7V to 60V input voltage range makes it ideal for a wide variety of automotive and industrial applications. Its output voltage can be set from 0V to 60V, making it well suited as a voltage regulator or battery/supercapacitor charger. The LT3790's internal 4-switch buck-boost controller operates from input voltages above, below or equal to the output voltage, making it ideal for applications such as automotive, where the input voltage can vary dramatically during stop/start, cold crank and load dump scenarios. Transitions between buck, pass-through and boost operating modes are seamless, offering a well regulated output in spite of wide variations of supply voltage. The LT3790's unique design utilizes three control loops to monitor input current, output current and output voltage to deliver optimal performance and reliability.
The LT3790 uses four external switching MOSFETs and can deliver up to 250W of continuous output power with efficiencies up to 98.5%. Output current accuracy of ±6% ensures precise current regulation while ±2% output voltage accuracy offers a precise output voltage, making it ideal for charging applications. Multiple LT3790s can be easily paralleled for higher power requirements. Furthermore, its switching frequency can be programmed between 200kHz and 700kHz or synchronized to an external clock. Additional features include output disconnect, input and output current monitors, a C/10 charge termination and integrated fault protection.
The LT3790EFE is available in a 38-lead thermally enhanced TSSOP package, priced starting at $4.75 each in 1,000-piece quantities. An extended temperature version, or I-grade LT3790IFE, is also available, priced starting at $5.25 each in 1,000-piece quantities. A high temperature version, or H-grade, the LT3790HFE, is also available, priced starting at $5.50 each in 1,000-piece quantities. Finally, an extended temperature version, or MP-grade, the LT3790MPFE, is also available, priced starting at $14.75 each in 1,000-piece quantities. All versions are available from stock. For more information, visit www.linear.com/product/LT3790.
Summary of Features: LT3790
- 4-Switch Single Inductor Architecture Allows VIN Above, Below or Equal to VOUT
- Synchronous Switching: Up to 98.5% Efficiency
- Wide VIN Range: 4.7V to 60V
- ±2% Output Voltage Accuracy: 1.2V ≤ VOUT < 60V
- ±6% Output Current Accuracy: 0V ≤ VOUT < 60V
- Input & Output Current Regulation with Current Monitor Outputs
- No Top FET Refresh in Buck or Boost
- VOUT Disconnected from VIN During Shutdown
- C/10 Charge Termination & Output Shorted Flags
- Capable of up to 250W per IC
- Easy Parallel Capability to Extend Output Power
- 38-Lead TSSOP with Exposed Pad
60V Input/Output Capable, Synchronous Buck-Boost Controller
The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.
- About Analog Devices
- Innovation, performance, and excellence are the cultural pillars on which Analog Devices has built one of the longest standing, highest growth companies within the technology sector. Acknowledged industry-wide as the world leader in data conversion and signal conditioning technology, Analog Devices serves over 60,000 customers, representing virtually all types of electronic equipment. Analog Devices is headquartered in Norwood, Massachusetts, with design and manufacturing facilities throughout the world. Analog Devices is included in the S&P 500 Index.
Editor's Contact Information
- Doug Dickinson