4μA I Hot Swap Controller Protects Batteries from Voltage & Current Faults
Linear Technology Corporation introduces the LTC4231, an ultralow quiescent current (IQ) Hot Swap™ controller, enabling safe board or battery insertion and extraction from 2.7V to 36V systems. The LTC4231 controls an external N-channel MOSFET to gently power up board capacitors, avoiding sparks, connector damage and system glitches. Device quiescent current is a mere 4µA during normal operation, dropping to 0.3µA in shutdown mode. To ensure low current operation, the undervoltage and overvoltage resistive dividers are connected to a strobed ground, lowering their average current draw by 50×. The LTC4231 provides a compact and rugged micropower solution for hot plugging and battery protection, especially in energy conscious applications utilizing solar power or energy harvesting.
The LTC4231 survives and also protects downstream circuitry from reversed batteries up to –40V by controlling back-to-back N-channel MOSFETs. Undervoltage protection cuts off low voltage batteries to prevent deep discharge, while adjustable hysteresis avoids oscillations from battery recovery after load removal. Dual level overcurrent protection is provided by a timed circuit breaker and fast current limit. The 2.7V to 36V operating range accommodates a wide range of battery chemistries including lead-acid, Li-Ion and stacked NiCd.
The LTC4231 is available in two options: the LTC4231-1 remains off after an overcurrent fault, whereas the LTC4231-2 automatically attempts to turn on after a 500ms cooldown period. Specified over the 0°C to 70°C commercial and –40°C to 85°C industrial temperature ranges, the LTC4231 is offered in 12-pin MSOP and 3mm × 3mm QFN packages. 1,000-piece pricing starts at $2.25 each. Device samples and evaluation circuit boards are available online or from your local Linear Technology sales office. For more information, visit www.linear.com/product/ltc4231.
Summary of Features: LTC4231
- Enables Safe Board or Battery Insertion & Removal
- Low Quiescent Current: 4µA in Normal Operation, 0.3µA in Shutdown
- Overcurrent Protection
- Dual Level: Circuit Breaker with Higher Current Limit
- Adjustable Circuit Breaker Response Time
- 1µs (max) Fast Current Limit Response
- Automatic Retry or Latchoff After Current Fault
- Overvoltage & Undervoltage Protection
- Adjustable Undervoltage Hysteresis
- Divider Switched Ground to Reduce Current
- Wide Operating Voltage Range: 2.7V to 36V
- Reverse Battery Protection to –40V
- MOSFET On Status Output
- 12-Pin MSOP & 3mm × 3mm QFN Packages
4µA IQ, 2.7V to 36V VIN Hot Swap™ Controller for On/Off, Low Battery Cutoff, Reverse Battery & Overload/Short-Circuit Protection
The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.
- About Analog Devices
- Innovation, performance, and excellence are the cultural pillars on which Analog Devices has built one of the longest standing, highest growth companies within the technology sector. Acknowledged industry-wide as the world leader in data conversion and signal conditioning technology, Analog Devices serves over 60,000 customers, representing virtually all types of electronic equipment. Analog Devices is headquartered in Norwood, Massachusetts, with design and manufacturing facilities throughout the world. Analog Devices is included in the S&P 500 Index.
Editor's Contact Information
- Doug Dickinson