Highest Accuracy Isolated Sigma-Delta Modulator Increases Efficiency of Motor Drives and Power Inverters
- Analog Devices, Inc. (NASDAQ: ADI) introduced today the industry’s highest accuracy isolated sigma-delta modulator for precision current and voltage measurement in DC/ AC power conversion applications. The AD7403 isolated sigma-delta modulator achieves an 81-dB signal-to-noise and distortion ratio (SINAD) (min) @ 78 KSPS over a -40C° to +125C° temperature range, which is 11dB higher than competing devices. The higher SINAD enables more accurate current and voltage measurement which improves the performance of motor drives by reducing torque ripple on the motor shaft. The higher SINAD also increases the power transfer efficiency in DC/AC power inverter applications, such as motor drives, solar and wind inverters.
AD7403 Sigma-Delta Modulator Integrates ADI’s iCoupler® Digital Isolation Technology
The AD7403 isolated sigma-delta modulator integrates ADI’s iCoupler® digital isolation technology, creating a single-chip solution for measuring the voltage across a shunt resistor by converting an analog signal into a 1-bit data stream that can be clocked at up to 20 MHz. The increased isolation working voltage (1250 V peak) allows designers to replace less accurate, more costly Hall Effect sensors in higher DC-bus voltage power conversion and motor drive applications.
The higher performance of the isolated sigma-delta modulator enables the use of a smaller shunt resistor, which reduces thermal loss across the shunt while retaining measurement accuracy.
AD7403 Isolated Sigma-Delta Modulator Key Features
- Download AD7403 data sheet, user guide or order samples
- Learn more about ADI’s motor and power control solutions
- Connect with ADI engineers on , an online technical support community
- 5-MHz to 20-MHz external clock input rate
- 16 bits, no missing codes
- Typical offset drift: 1.5 μV/°C
- On-board digital isolator
- On-board reference
- True bipolar analog input range: ±320 mV
- High common-mode transient immunity: >25 kV/μs
Product Volume Availability Price Each per 10,000 Package AD7403 Now $2.95 16-lead, wide body SOIC (8.3mm creepage and clearance)
The AD7403 modulator is well suited to work with other ADI products designed for motor control and power conversion systems, including the ADSP-CM40x mixed-signal control processor, ADuM6000 isolated, 5-kV, DC/DC converter and the ADP2441 36-V, 1-A synchronous step-down DC/DC regulator.
- About Analog Devices
- Innovation, performance, and excellence are the cultural pillars on which Analog Devices has built one of the longest standing, highest growth companies within the technology sector. Acknowledged industry-wide as the world leader in data conversion and signal conditioning technology, Analog Devices serves over 60,000 customers, representing virtually all types of electronic equipment. Analog Devices is headquartered in Norwood, Massachusetts, with design and manufacturing facilities throughout the world. Analog Devices is included in the S&P 500 Index.
iCoupler is a registered trademark and EngineerZone is a trademark of Analog Devices, Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
To subscribe to Analog Dialogue, ADI's monthly technical journal, visit: http://www.analog.com/subscribe
Editor's Contact Information
- Grainne Murphy