Joe Dussi ,
Isolated Half-bridge Gate Drivers with Analog Devices' iCoupler® Digital Isolator Technology Deliver Industry-best Speed and Reliability
- Analog Devices, Inc. (ADI), a global leader in high-performance semiconductors for signal-processing applications and a pioneer in digital isolator technology, today introduced the industry’s fastest and most reliable isolated half-bridge gate drivers. Incorporating ADI’s award winning iCoupler® digital isolator technology, the 4 A ADuM3223 and ADuM4223 gate drivers are 4X faster than devices based on optocoupler technology and have a 50 year operating life. ADI’s new gate drivers are designed to improve the performance and efficiency of AC-to-DC and DC-to-DC power supplies, solar-power inverters and motor-control designs while meeting necessary safety requirements required for these applications.
The ADuM3223 and ADuM4223 isolated half-bridge gate drivers feature sub 55 ns propagation delay and less than 5 ns delay matching, which is four times faster than gate drivers designed using less effective optocoupler technology. The new gate drivers meet safety standards for up to 5 kV rms reinforced isolation and also provide 700 VPEAK galvanic isolation between the drivers’ high-side and low-side outputs, which minimizes the potential for cross conduction and improves reliability and equipment safety.
“Optocoupler-based gate drivers typically suffer from poor timing performance, which contributes to longer dead-time that can affect overall operating efficiency. Optocouplers also use power-hungry LEDs, which are prone to wear out and can limit the life of the gate driver,” said Bob Briano, Digital Isolator Marketing Manager, Analog Devices. “Using a typical power supply as an example, ADI’s new isolated gate drivers offer significantly better reliability, higher switching speed and temperature, and a smaller package. That combination translates to greater power density and better overall power supply efficiency.”
With two independent isolation channels, the ADuM3223 and ADuM4223 gate drivers operate with an input supply range from 3.3 V to 5.5 V, which suits them to lower voltage systems. Each output may be continuously operated up to 400 V rms relative to the input. The differential voltage between the high-side and low-side may be as high as 700 VPEAK, which makes these devices ideal for providing reliable control over a wide range of bus voltages.
The ADuM3223 provides 3 kV rms isolation in a narrow-body, 16-lead SOIC package, while the ADuM4223 provides 5 kV rms reinforced isolation in a wide-body, 16-lead SOIC package.
ADuM3223 and ADuM4223 Isolated, Precision, Half-bridge Gate Drivers Key Features
Availability and Pricing
Product Sample Availability Full Production Price per 1k Units Packaging ADuM3223 Now Now $1.57 16-Lead SOIC_N ADuM4223 Now Now $1.88 16-Lead SOIC_W ADuM3223/4223 Evaluation Board Now Now $40.00 --
iCoupler Technology Overview
As the global leader in digital isolation, ADI's proven iCoupler digital isolator technology is based on chip-scale transformers, rather than on the LEDs and photodiodes found in optocouplers. Transformers support higher data rates, consume less power, and are more stable over life compared to LEDs and photodiodes. By fabricating the transformers directly on-chip using wafer-level processing, iCoupler digital isolation channels can be integrated with each other and other semiconductor functions at low cost. iCoupler digital isolator transformers are planar structures formed from CMOS and gold metal layers.
A high-breakdown thick polyimide layer underneath the gold layer insulates the top transformer coil from the bottom coil, resulting in the most reliable and highest level of digital isolation available. CMOS circuits connected to the top coil and bottom coil provide the interface between each transformer and its external signals. With more than half a billion channels deployed to date, ADI's iCoupler digital isolator technology has been designed into hundreds of applications and growing.
- View product page, download data sheet and order samples: ADuM3223; ADuM4223
- Learn more about ADI’s Gate Drivers
- View discussions and FAQs on Analog Devices’ interface and products on EngineerZone™, an online technical support community
- Fast Timing
- <55 ns propagation delay
- <5 ns delay matching
- High Reliability
- 50 year lifetime for 400 V rms working voltage: safety certified
- 50 year lifetime for 1130 dc working voltage: functional isolation
- 125 ºC Operation
- High Operating Temperature: 125ºC
- 4 A PEAK Current Drive
- About Analog Devices
- Innovation, performance, and excellence are the cultural pillars on which Analog Devices has built one of the longest standing, highest growth companies within the technology sector. Acknowledged industry-wide as the world leader in data conversion and signal conditioning technology, Analog Devices serves over 60,000 customers, representing virtually all types of electronic equipment. Analog Devices is headquartered in Norwood, Massachusetts, with design and manufacturing facilities throughout the world. Analog Devices is included in the S&P 500 Index.
Editor's Contact Information
- Joe Dussi