Analog Devices’ Highest Performance Blackfin® Processors Feature Accelerated Vision Analytics and Low Power Consumption
The ADSP-BF60x series processors with 1GHz core performance and a new dedicated vision accelerator enable broad adoption of multi-function analytics into embedded vision applicationsMar 28 2012 - Norwood, MA
Analog Devices, Inc., a global leader in high-performance semiconductors for signal processing applications, introduced a series of 1-GHz, dual-core, Blackfin® processors. The ADSP-BF608 and ADSP-BF609 are optimized for embedded vision applications, featuring a high performance video analytics accelerator, called the Pipelined Vision Processor (PVP). The PVP is comprised of a set of configurable processing blocks designed to accelerate up to five concurrent image algorithms, enabling a very high level of analytics performance. These processors are ideal for many applications such as automotive advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS), industrial machine vision, and security/surveillance systems.
The ADSP-BF606 and ADSP-BF607 are available without the PVP and are designed to provide flexibility for a wide variety of general purpose digital signal processing applications such as wireless communications, industrial process control, and electric power grid monitoring/protection.
These four new processors all have two 500MHz cores, the largest on-chip memory available within the Blackfin family, and have been optimized for low power operation. Additional features which are optimized for power efficiency include a new high-bandwidth switched fabric data movement infrastructure, a rich peripheral set and safety oriented features. Low power consumption has a number of benefits including high temperature operation, smaller foot prints and lower system cost. Typical power consumption for the BF609 is 400mWatts.
“Embedded vision technology enables electronic products to be much more intelligent and responsive,” said Jeff Bier, Founder of the Embedded Vision Alliance (www.Embedded-Vision.com). “Vision algorithms are computationally demanding and very diverse. Hence, high-performance, cost-effective programmable processors are essential for these applications. I applaud Analog Devices’ leadership in fielding a powerful architecture targeting embedded vision applications.”
“With over 25 billion mathematical operations per second available from the PVP, this accelerator combined with two Blackfin cores provides the basis for a very powerful and flexible processor” said Colin Duggan, director of marketing, Analog Devices, Inc. “Our goal with these new Blackfin processors is to offer a high level of analytic functions at a great price with very low power consumption, enabling a much broader deployment of embedded vision systems.”
About Blackfin ADSP-BF60x Tools
Blackfin ADSP-BF60x processors are supported by CrossCore® Embedded Studio, a world-class software development tools chain for Analog Devices’ processor families. This Eclipse™ based, highly visual, intuitive IDE enables support for both proprietary and open source tools and technologies including Analog Devices C/C++ compiler, Micrium µC/OS-IIITM, Linux and GCC. Analog Devices has worked closely with Micrium to integrate their µC/OS-IIITM industry leading real time operation system, USB drivers and file system into CrossCore Embedded Studio.
Key Features of the ADSP-BF60x Blackfin Processors
Availability and Pricing
Pricing for the ADSP-BF60x series of processors starts at $15 in 1K quantities, silicon samples are available today. Cross Core Embedded Studio, the ADSP-BF609 EZ-KIT development board, and a family of in-circuit emulators are available now to assist designers in their development with these new Blackfin processors. Please visit www.analog.com\blackfin for more information.
- For more information, download the data sheet or order samples, visit: www.analog.com/Blackfin
- View a video on the application of the ADSP-BF60x family
- For additional support, connect with engineers and ADI product experts on EngineerZone™, an online technical support community:
- For more information on ADI’s digital signal processors
- Unique pipelined vision processor optimized for efficient video analytics (ADSP-BF608/609)
- Two optimized 500MHz cores and up to 4.3 Mbits of on-chip SRAM
- Rich set of on-chip peripheral options
- Extensive development tools, development boards and extender boards available including CrossCore® embedded studio software development tools, high speed in-circuit emulators, EZ-Kit development boards and application-specific EZ-Extender® cards
- About Analog Devices
- Innovation, performance, and excellence are the cultural pillars on which Analog Devices has built one of the longest standing, highest growth companies within the technology sector. Acknowledged industry-wide as the world leader in data conversion and signal conditioning technology, Analog Devices serves over 60,000 customers, representing virtually all types of electronic equipment. Analog Devices is headquartered in Norwood, Massachusetts, with design and manufacturing facilities throughout the world. Analog Devices is included in the S&P 500 Index.