Boost & Inverting DC/DC Converter for Active Matrix OLED & CCD Bias
Linear Technology announces the LT3582, LT3582-5 and LT3582-12 dual channel DC/DC converters which deliver both positive and negative outputs required in many biasing applications such as active matrix OLED (organic light-emitting diode) displays as well as CCD (charge coupled device) applications. The LT3582/-5/-12 offer an I2C interface that can dynamically program output voltages, power sequencing and output voltage ramps as the application requires. Alternatively, these parameters can be set in manufacturing and made permanent via the built in non-volatile OTP (one time programmable) memory. The LT3582s positive output voltage can be set between 3.2V and 12.775 in 25mV steps, whereas the negative output can be set between –1.2V and –13.95V in 50mV steps. The LT3582-5 and LT3582-12 are preconfigured with ±5V and ±12V outputs respectively, useful in many signal conditioning applications.
The LT3582 series includes two monolithic converters, one boost and one inverting. The boost converter has an integrated power switch and output disconnect switch, whereas the inverting converter uses a single inductor topology with an integrated power switch. Both boost and inverting converters use a novel control scheme resulting in low output voltage ripple and allowing for high conversion efficiency over a wide load current range. The LT3582/-5/-12s input voltage range of 2.55V to 5.5V make them ideal for Li-Ion powered applications with efficiencies as high as 88%. These features, when combined with less than 325µA of quiescent current, the LT3582 series can maximize battery life. The combination of tiny external components, no feedback resistors and a tiny 3 × 3mm QFN package provides a tiny (<50mm) solution footprint for handheld biasing applications.
The LT3582EUD, LT3582EUD-5 and LT3582EUD-12 are all available from stock in a 3mm × 3mm QFN package. Pricing starts at $2.25 each for 1,000-piece quantities. For more information, visit www.linear.com.
Summary of Features: LT3582
- Output Voltages: 3.2V to 12.775V and <–1.2V to –13.95V (LT3582)
- 5V and –5V (LT3582-5)
- 12V and –12V (LT3582-12)
- Digitally Reprogrammable (LT3582) Via I2C for: Output Voltages, Power Sequencing, Output Voltage Ramp Rates
- Power-Up Defaults Settable with Non-Volatile OTP (LT3582)
- I2C Compatible Interface (Standard Mode*)
- All Power Switches Integrated
- 350mA Current Limit (Boost)
- 600mA Current Limit (Inverting)
- All Feedback Resistors Integrated
- Input Voltage Range: 2.55V to 5.5V
- Low Quiescent Current: 325µA in Active Mode, 0.01µA in Shutdown Mode
- Integrated Output Disconnect
- Tiny 16-Pin 3mm × 3mm QFN Package
Boost & Inverting DC/DC Converter for active matrix OLED & CCD Bias
Editor's Contact Information
- Doug Dickinson