Precision Micropower Oscillators Offer 99.91% Accuracy
Linear Technology announces the LTC6930, a family of low power precision silicon oscillators with fixed frequencies from 32.768 kHz to 8.192 MHz. Five versions are available, each with a unique master frequency and digitally controlled frequency dividers that give 8 different frequencies per device. Frequency shifting is accomplished within a single clock cycle and without glitches, providing a powerful tool for system configuration or power management through clock-speed control.
The LTC6930 has significant advantages in battery and portable applications. Drawing only 105µA at 32 kHz and requiring only a single 1.7V to 5.5V supply, the LTC6930 can operate from two unregulated NiCad batteries. Battery life is also extended, using the fast startup, where minimal power is lost during the clock power-up. Most oscillators exhibit a startup time greater than a millisecond. By contrast, the LTC6930 has a guaranteed startup time of less than 110µsec.
The 0.09% frequency tolerance makes the LTC6930 suitable for many applications, including serial port communications and microprocessor clocks. The LTC6930 is fully specified for operation from –40°C to 125°C and offers rugged, reliable operation in environments unsuitable for crystal-based oscillators. These parts are available in a compact 2 × 3mm DFN and an 8-lead MSOP package.
"The LTC6930 combines the unique features of Linear Technologys silicon oscillators with next-generation frequency accuracy. Industrial and handheld devices will especially have an advantage with these clocks," says Doug LaPorte, design manager for Linear Technology.
All versions are in full production, with prices starting at $1.31 each in 1,000-piece quantities.
Summary of Features: LTC6930
- Startup Time <110µS at All Frequencies
- 105µA Typical Supply Current at 32kHz
- 490µA Typical Supply Current at 8MHz
- Frequency Error <0.09%, Max @ 25°C
- 1.7V to 5.5V Single Supply Operation
- Typical RMS Period Jitter <0.15%
- No External Components Required to Set Frequency
- 5 Options Cover 32kHz to 8.192MHz:
- LTC6930-4.19: 32.768kHz to 4.194MHz
- LTC6930-5.00: 39.1kHz to 5.000MHz
- LTC6930-7.37: 57.6kHZ to 7.373MHz
- LTC6930-8.00: 62.5kHz to 8.000MHz
- LTC6930-8.19: 64.0kHz to 8.192MHz
- 40°C to 125°C Operating Temperature Range
- Tiny 2mm × 3mm DFN or MS8 Package
Silicon Oscillator Offers 99.91% Accuracy
Editor's Contact Information
- Doug Dickinson