SOT-23 Spread Spectrum Clock for Switching Regulators
Linear Technology Corporation announces the LTC6908, a tiny spread spectrum silicon oscillator optimized for switching regulators. Using a single resistor, the LTC6908 is programmable to any frequency from 50kHz to 10MHz. The LTC6908 comes in two configurations, each with dual outputs. The LT6908-1's outputs are 180° out of phase and the LTC6908-2's outputs are 90° out of phase.
Enabling the pseudo-random spread-spectrum provides a simple, effective way to reduce EMI. In the event that the switcher bandwidth is limited, the LTC6908 modulation rate can be adjusted to one of three settings. "Implementing spread-spectrum for switchers is now trivial" says Doug LaPorte, design section lead for Linear Technology. "The user sets the frequency with one resistor and selects a modulation rate."
Fully specified over the temperature range of –40°C to 125°C, the LTC6908 offers the same outstanding features available with Linear Technology's silicon oscillator family; rugged and reliable operation under extreme conditions, fast startup and low power consumption. These parts are available in a compact 6-lead ThinSOT™ package and a 2mm × 3mm DFN. The LTC6908 is in full production with prices starting at $1.65 each in 1,000-piece quantities.
Summary of Features: LTC6908
- LTC6908-1: Complementary Outputs (0°/180°)
- LTC6908-2: Quadrature Outputs (0°/90°)
- 50kHz to 10MHz Frequency Range
- One Resistor Sets the Frequency
- Optional ±10% Frequency Spreading
- Frequency Error ≤1.5% Max
- ±40ppm/°C Temperature Stability
- Operating Temperature Range: –40°C to 125°C
- Fast Start-Up Time: <1.5ms
- Outputs Muted Until Stable
- 2.7V to 5.5V Operation
- Available in Low Profile ThinSOT and DFN (2mm × 3mm) Packages
Tiny Clock Optimized for Switchers
Editor's Contact Information
- Doug Dickinson