Valoree Young ,
Analog Devices’ Isolated Metrology Chipset Ensures Energy Meter Magnetic Immunity
Analog Devices, Inc., (ADI) a global leader in high-performance semiconductors for signal processing applications, today introduced the industry’s first fully isolated metrology chipset designed for polyphase energy metering applications. The ADE7978 metrology chipset includes the ADE7978 3-phase metrology IC combined with up to four ADE7933 fully isolated A/D converter ICs. The ADE7933 3-channel sigma-delta A/D converter incorporates Analog Devices’ patented iCoupler® and isoPower® technologies to implement isolated signal transfer and dc-to-dc power conversion across a 5kV-rated insulation barrier. This enables the use of shunt resistor sensing elements instead of current transformers (CTs), thereby providing immunity to magnetic field interference and tampering. The use of shunts instead of CTs also reduces system cost and size.
"Designers of 3-phase electric meters are increasingly adopting shunt-based architectures over traditional CT-based meters to take advantage of size, cost, and magnetic immunity benefits,” said Ronn Kliger, director, Energy Group, Analog Devices. “This new full-featured metrology chipset allows them to quickly leverage these benefits without compromising functionality or performance."
Energy Metering Chipset Key Features
Pricing and Availability
Product Sample Availability Channels Price Each In 1,000 Quantities Packaging ADE7978 3-phase metrology IC Now N/A $1.90 28-Pin LFCSP ADE7933 3-channel isolated ADC Now 1 current channel and 2 voltage channels $5.71 20-lead wide body SOIC with greater than 8mm clearance and creepage ADE7932 2-channel isolated ADC Now 1 current channel and 1 voltage channel $5.42 20-lead wide body SOIC with greater than 8mm clearance and creepage
ADI also recently introduced the industry’s first fully isolated A/D converter designed for polyphase energy metering applications. The new ADE7913 IC is similar to the ADE7933, but with an SPI interface for customers who prefer to implement their own metrology algorithms to realize the same magnetic immunity, cost, and size benefits as the chipset. Learn about the ADE7913 energy metering IC at http://www.analog.com/ADE7913.
Making a Difference for Energy Metering Customers
With nearly half a billion energy meters using ADI’s technology deployed worldwide, Analog Devices has delivered more energy measurement solutions than any other semiconductor company. Superior in quality, reliability, and performance, Analog Devices’ energy-metering ICs combine ADCs (analog-to-digital converters) with fixed-function DSPs (digital signal processors) to perform critical measurements, while providing unparalleled functionality and ease-of-use. Analog Devices offers a broad range of semiconductor solutions that solve design challenges in every aspect of metering systems, including energy measurement; data and power management; user interface; and RF, GSM/GPRS, and power-line carrier communication solutions. For more information about ADI’s energy measurement products, visit http://www.analog.com/pr/Energy-Measurement. For more information about ADI’s energy solutions for renewable energy generation, transmission and distribution, and metering applications, visit www.analog.com/energy.
- View the ADE7978 energy metering chipset product page, order samples, and download the data sheet: http://www.analog.com/ADE7978.
- Computes active, reactive, and apparent energies for class 0.5 meters (ADE7978)
- Provides comprehensive power quality measurements including THD (ADE7978)
- Two versions of A/D converter IC available: three channel (ADE7933) and two channel (ADE7932)
- Integrated isoPower isolated dc-to-dc converter (ADE7933/ADE7932)Enables real time compensation for shunt temperature drift using on-chip temperature sensors (ADE7978 and ADE7933/ADE7932)
- Flexible SPI, I2C, and HSDC serial interfaces (ADE7978)
- About Analog Devices
- Innovation, performance, and excellence are the cultural pillars on which Analog Devices has built one of the longest standing, highest growth companies within the technology sector. Acknowledged industry-wide as the world leader in data conversion and signal conditioning technology, Analog Devices serves over 60,000 customers, representing virtually all types of electronic equipment. Analog Devices is headquartered in Norwood, Massachusetts, with design and manufacturing facilities throughout the world. Analog Devices is included in the S&P 500 Index.
Editor's Contact Information
- Valoree Young