Colleen Cronin ,
New Analog Devices’ PLL Synthesizers Deliver Utmost Flexibility and Phase Noise Performance
Norwood, MA (01/05/2010) - Analog Devices, Inc., (ADI), (ADI), a global leader in high-performance semiconductors for signal-processing applications and leading provider of RF ICs (radio frequency integrated circuits), today announced the release of two new PLL synthesizer that allows utmost flexibility and phase noise performance. The ADF4151 and ADF4196 PLL synthesizers ease design in a variety of applications including communications infrastructure base-stations, pulse and Doppler radar applications, test and instrumentation equipment, microwave point-to-point systems, PMR (professional mobile radio), VSATs (very small aperture terminals) and aerospace systems.
With an RF bandwidth of 3.5 GHz, the ADF4151 allows implementation of a Fractional-N or Integer-N PLL synthesizer. It consists of a low noise digital phase frequency detector (PFD), a precision charge pump, and a programmable reference divider and is pin-and software-compatible with ADI’s widely-used ADF4350 4.4 GHz PLL. When these two PLLs are used together, the ADF4151 facilitates the use of an external voltage controlled oscillator (VCO) and greatly improves phase noise without significant board revisions.
ADF4151 Fractional-N/Integer-N PLL Synthesizer Key Features:
The ADF4196 is an ultra-fast settling 6 GHz fractional-N PLL that has been specifically designed to meet the GSM/EDGE lock time requirements for communications infrastructure and pulse Doppler radar applications. When used in conjunction with an external loop filter and VCO, the ADF4196 PLL can achieve lock times of less than 5 µs. It consists of a low noise, digital phase frequency detector (PFD) and a precision differential charge pump.
ADF4196 Fractional-N PLL Synthesizer Key Features:
The ADF4151 and ADF4196 PLLs are supported by a new version ofADIsimPLL,™a comprehensive PLL synthesizer design and simulation tool. Also announced today, ADIsimPLL Version 3.41 adds support for ADI’s latest PLLs and includes several functionality enhancements. The free development tool can be downloaded at www.analog.com/adisimpll.
Pricing, Availability and Complementary Products
Product Sample Availability Full Production Price Each Per 10,000 Packaging ADF4151 NOW NOW $2.43 32-LFCSP
The ADF4151 PLL synthesizer is well-suited to work with ADI’s ADL5801 and ADL5802 RF mixers and is complementary to the ADF4350 and ADF4351 PLL synthesizers.The ADF4196 works well with the ADL5375modulator and is complementary to the ADF4193 PLL synthesizer.
ADI’s RF IC Portfolio Covers Entire RF Signal Chain
Using a unique combination of design skills, system understanding and process technologies, Analog Devices offers the broadest portfolio of RF ICs covering the entire RF signal chain from industry-leading high-performance RF function blocks to highly integrated short-range and 3G/4G single-chip transceiver solutions. The RF function blocks include PLL, integrated PLL/VCO and DDS synthesizers; TruPwr™ RMS power detectors and logarithmic amplifiers; variable gain amplifiers; power amplifiers, low noise amplifiers and other amplifiers; RF mixers and direct conversion modulator and demodulator products. These products are supported by a wide range of design resources to ease the development of RF systems, including free design tools, Circuits from the Lab™ reference circuits and the EngineerZone™ technical forums. For more information, visit http://www.analog.com/rf.
- Download ADF4151 data sheet, order samples or evaluation boards.
- Download ADF4196 data sheet, order samples or evaluation boards.
- Download new version of ADIsimPLL™.
- View ADI’s complete portfolio of market-leading PLL synthesizers.
- Get support at ADI’s EngineerZone™ technical support community
- 3 to 3.6 V power supply
- 1.8 V logic compatibility
- Separate charge pump supply allows extended tuning voltage (up to 5 V) in 3 V systems
- Programmable dual-modulus prescaler of 4/5 or 8/9
- Programmable RF output phase
- 3-wire serial interface
- Frequency hop across GSM band in 5 µs with phase settled within 20 µs
- 1◦ rms phase error at 4 GHz RF output
- Digitally programmable output phase
- 3-wire serial interface
- On-chip, low noise differential amplifier
- Phase noise figure of merit: 216 dBc/Hz
- About Analog Devices
- Innovation, performance, and excellence are the cultural pillars on which Analog Devices has built one of the longest standing, highest growth companies within the technology sector. Acknowledged industry-wide as the world leader in data conversion and signal conditioning technology, Analog Devices serves over 60,000 customers, representing virtually all types of electronic equipment. Analog Devices is headquartered in Norwood, Massachusetts, with design and manufacturing facilities throughout the world. Analog Devices is included in the S&P 500 Index.
Editor's Contact Information
- Colleen Cronin